I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud…
Publication Date: 04/04/2013
About the Book
'A collection of favourite half-remembered lines and phrases from school days' – The Times
You may remember the famous opening lines, 'Tyger tyger, burning bright'? and 'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?' but would you be able to name the poems or the poets?
The English language is jam-packed with wonderful verses that we've all heard at some point, but probably forgotten. I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud helps us remember all those long-forgotten poems that we were taught at school, together with short biographies of the poets and introductions to the poems themselves.
This well-rounded poetry anthology features such greats as Chaucer, Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Shelley, Coleridge, Kipling, Heaney and Yeats, the poems you may have once learned and others that have informed our everyday speech.
Complete with a masterly index that allows readers to search not just by first lines, but by well-known phrases, I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud is a perfect addition to any poetry lover's collection.
- 'A collection of favourite half-remembered lines and phrases from school days', The Times
- 'Featuring poets from Chaucer to Shakespeare, Auden to Plath, the book includes all the 'greatest hits'', Guardian.co.uk
- 'Once you dip in and start you won't be able to stop...a wonderful anthology', Tribune
- 'Sampson's enlightening collection offers a wide variety of poems, each enhanced by background material that lends useful context. From Shakespeare to Shelley, Blake to Brooke, anyone who loves poetry or appreciates the inherent richness of the English language will find much to relish', The Good Book Guide
- 'This is an excellent collection of all those poems that you perhaps only half remember. Not only are there some of the most important poems in the language, but also potted biographies and an index of famous lines for those post-prandial 'guess the poem' quizzes. The perfect stocking filler', Choice Magazine
- 'Complete with an inspired and invaluable index which allows readers to search not just by first lines, but by well-known phrases, this superb book is the perfect addition to any poetry lover's collection', Lancashire Evening Post
- 'If you have a favourite poem you'll probably find it in I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud, which contains some of the nation's best-loved offerings. The book also contains lots of interesting facts about poets and there's an index to help you search by a poem's most famous line', Co-Operative Magazine
- 'Poetry fans will love I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud... dip into this treasure-trove of the nation's best loved poems and read about the writers behind them', Bon Marche
- 'A great collection for any poetry lover... highly recommended for readers of all ages', Book a Poet