Sustainability & Climate Focus

Michael O’Mara Books is committed to reducing its carbon impact as much as possible. A small change can make a huge difference, so we have taken measures to reduce waste and environmental damage.


 

Paper Sourcing & Printing

As a commercial publishing house, we can make the biggest environmental impact by being responsible in our sourcing of paper, board and packaging.  Michael O’Mara Books is committed to using sustainably sourced timber.  We expect all of our suppliers to comply with this policy and support forestry management schemes and initiatives that promote this.

We do not use fibre or paper from wood that has been illegally harvested anywhere in the world.  Our suppliers are fully aware that Michael O’Mara Books will not accept any books not produced on Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) paper, or a minimum of PREPS 3 paper or above.

We believe FSC® certification to be the highest available standard.  If we cannot use FSC® paper, we use PREPS Grade 3 as the minimum for our titles. PREPS Grade 3 confirms that all the forest sources are known, legal, low risk or either FSC® or PEFC accredited.

Michael O’Mara Books’ suppliers and printers are responsible for producing proof of due diligence on all books and products.  Such documentation can be obtained upon request.

In 2018, 53% of Michael O’Mara Books’ products were produced using FSC® papers, the remaining 47% of books were produced using PREPS Grade 3 or above.

We are also using our publishing to inspire and inform children, by publishing books that encourage them to make better choices and reduce their carbon impact.

 


 

In the Office

In our offices, we only use plastic-free jiffy bags for mailings.  We are proactively limiting our paper use, reducing the amount of paper that we use by printing double-sided where possible. We are committed to using recycled and FSC® certified paper for printing, correspondence and marketing materials and we have a recycling collection service in place.

We are looking at all aspects of our business to see where we can conserve energy, by checking everything from our energy and stationery suppliers, to buying cleaning materials in bulk and using greener taxi firms.

We are also supporters of Client Earth, a charity that uses the power of the law to protect the planet and the people who live on it.https://www.clientearth.org/

 


Introducing …

 

Guardians of the Planet

This environmentally positive book contains everything children need to become guardians of the planet.

Key environmental topics are clearly explained, and the easy-to-follow projects and suggestions help to put the issues in an everyday context.

A percentage of the royalties from the sale of this book go towards ClientEarth, an organization that uses environmental law to protect oceans, forests and other habitats from destructive corporate interest.

 

You Can Save the Planet

The effects of pollution, global warming and the destruction of our planet have never been so visible or measurable.

You Can Save the Planet introduces and explains the massive global problems that need to be addressed and is packed with 101 smart, practical and fun things kids can do to make their homes, schools and neighbourhoods more environmentally friendly.