Crown of Blood
The Deadly Inheritance of Lady Jane Grey
Publication Date: 03/11/2016
Publication Date: 06/07/2017
About the Book
Good people, I am come hither to die, and by a law I am condemned to the same.
These were the words uttered by the seventeen-year-old Lady Jane Grey as she stood on the scaffold awaiting death on a cold February morning in 1554. Forced onto the throne by the great power players at court, Queen Jane reigned for just thirteen tumultuous days before being imprisoned in the Tower, condemned for high treason and executed.
In this dramatic retelling of an often misread tale, historian and researcher Nicola Tallis explores a range of evidence that has never before been used in a biography to sweep away the many myths and reveal the moving, human story of an extraordinarily intelligent, independent and courageous young woman.
- 'A stunning debut', The Spectator
- 'Poignant', The New York Times
- 'Tallis’s clear writing and well-paced narrative heighten the story’s climactic and tragic ending.', Publishers Weekly
- 'A highly intelligent and enjoyable study which brings us as close to a flesh-and-blood Lady Jane Grey as we may ever come.', History Today
- 'A stunning debut from a young historian who deserves to be recognized as a major talent in her field. It's history as it should be written, vivid, colourful, pacy and evocative, but – above all – authentic and based on sound and innovative research. It's an outstanding contribution to our knowledge of Lady Jane Grey.', Alison Weir
- 'Authoritative, thoughtful and elegantly written. Telling use of original sources makes fresh and vivid – as well as moving – the story of a girl too often dismissed as a mere blank canvas onto which others could write. A genuinely impressive debut.', Sarah Gristwood
- 'Through meticulous research, Nicola Tallis pieces Lady Jane Grey’s fascinating story together, and in so doing brings this extraordinary young woman vividly to life. Engagingly written and utterly compelling throughout. A stunning debut.', Tracy Borman
- 'This is a wonderful investigation of Lady Jane Grey, enlightening and gripping, full of superb research and beautifully written.', Kate Williams