Our Journey from Survival to Success
Rob and Paul Forkan
Publication Date: 01/10/2015
Categories: Autobiography & Memoir
About the Book
On Boxing day 2004, Rob, Paul, Mattie and Rosie Forkan tragically lost their parents in the Boxing Day Tsunami that devastated Sri Lanka. Aged from 8 to 17, they subsequently faced a harrowing and solitary 200km trek across the decimated country to get home to safety.
The bravery, ingenuity and resilience they displayed was the result of their unusual upbringing. Taken out of school at a young age, they received an unconventional and global education, learning independence and resourcefulness while carrying out voluntary work for charities in India alongside their parents.
In the decade since the tsunami, Rob and Paul have created a multinational brand, Gandys Flip Flops, which was based in the front room of their rented flat and has been endorsed by entrepreneurs including Richard Branson, and set up Orphans for Orphans, a charitable organization that supports children deprived of education, nutrition and medication.
This is a heartbreaking, engaging but ultimately uplifting journey from the streets of Sri Lanka to the boardrooms of London, Downing Street and beyond as told by two inspirational survivors.
- 'An extraordinary story that'll restore your faith in humanity', Daily Mail
- 'An incredible true story', Daily Express
- 'Remarkable and inspiring... published to mark 10 years since the tsunami', The Bookseller
- 'Honest, humorous and insightful', Evening Standard
- 'The next big thong', Independent on Sunday
- 'Spurred by tragedy to build flip-flop empire that gives something back', Financial Times
- 'A memoir full of sorrow, but also incredible purpose and achievement', Huffington Post
- 'How brothers turned tragedy into triumph', The Sun
- 'Compelling', new! magazine
- 'Both heartbreaking and highly inspirational', Image magazine
- 'Incredible', Now magazine
- 'Inspirational', Forbes
- 'harrowing', National Geographic Traveller
- 'Dramatic and poignant, yet lifting and inspirational, this remarkable book is a testament to the resilience, courage and bravery of an incredible family. Highly recommended!', Hot Brands Cool Places
- 'A moving tale of a young family who refused to let a tragedy destroy either their inherited entrepreneurial spirit or their optimism for the future', Lancashire Evening Post
- 'A tear-jerking, uplifting and thrilling read', The Bookbag
- 'A new book charting the remarkable upbringing that brought them to Sri Lanka on that fateful day, and the inspirational decisions they have taken in the intervening 10 years to somehow weave a story of hope and renewal from the loss they suffered', Mayo Advertiser